If Saw Palmetto is effective at stopping or reducing hair loss then it would make sense that a shampoo containing it would be something you might want to try.
In fact, there actually are a number of shampoos on the market that contain it as an ingredient. Now, whether they actually produce results is another matter.
Topical saw palmetto is believed to work by blocking the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone that can contribute to hair loss in some people. When applied topically, saw palmetto can penetrate the skin and hair follicles to inhibit the production of DHT and potentially promote hair growth.
There is some limited research suggesting that saw palmetto may help reduce hair loss when used in shampoo. However, more comprehensive studies are needed to fully determine its effectiveness.
One small study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that a topical saw palmetto and 10% trichogen-based solution reduced hair loss in men and women with androgenic alopecia (a common form of hair loss). Another study published in the International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology found that a saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol shampoo improved hair growth in men with mild to moderate androgenetic alopecia.
However, it’s important to note that these studies are limited in scope and size, and more research is needed to determine the effectiveness of saw palmetto shampoo in stopping hair loss.
Keep in mind that hair loss can have many different causes, and a shampoo alone may not be enough to treat the underlying condition. If you are experiencing hair loss, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional or dermatologist to determine the cause and the most appropriate treatment plan for your specific needs.
Saw palmetto works by regulating certain hormones in the body that lead to hair loss. So, a topical solution would not have the same effect as ingesting it. So a shampoo will probably be less effective than a product you would take orally. But it still may be worth a try. As mentioned above there isn’t really any conclusive evidence showing the effectiveness of saw palmetto shampoos so it’s really just a shot in the dark. But, shampoos containing it don’t really have any side effects so it wouldn’t necessarily hurt to try it out and see if there are any beneficial effects.
If you do some research on shampoos for hair loss you’ll find a decent amount of discussion about SLS in shampoo. SLS stands for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and is essentially a de-greaser that is also used in industrial settings to remove grease and oil. Not something that you would think would be good for your scalp. Nonetheless, its been in shampoo for decades and hasn’t had disastrous effects on the shampooing population. Still, its possible that some people are more sensitive to SLS then others and that it does actually have a detrimental effect on their hair growth.
So, if you’re looking to try a saw palmetto shampoo then you should also consider getting an SLS free regular shampoo as well. That way you’ll be able to test whether either of them have a beneficial effect on your hair loss.
What are some of the more popular saw palmetto based shampoos?
- PURA D’OR Hair Thinning Therapy Shampoo – This shampoo contains a blend of natural ingredients, including saw palmetto, to help reduce hair thinning and promote healthy hair growth.
- Lipogaine Big 5 Hair Stimulating Shampoo – This shampoo is infused with saw palmetto, caffeine, and biotin to help strengthen hair and prevent hair loss.
- Hairgenics Pronexa Clinical Strength Hair Growth & Regrowth Therapy Shampoo – This shampoo contains saw palmetto and other natural ingredients to help promote hair growth and improve overall hair health.
- Majestic Pure Biotin Shampoo – This shampoo is enriched with saw palmetto, biotin, and other natural ingredients to help strengthen hair and prevent hair loss.
- Natural Riches Biotin Hair Growth Shampoo – This shampoo contains saw palmetto and biotin to help promote healthy hair growth and prevent hair loss.
- Honeydew Biotin Shampoo – This shampoo is formulated with saw palmetto, biotin, and other natural ingredients to help promote hair growth and reduce hair loss.
- Honeyskin Hair Growth Shampoo – This shampoo is enriched with saw palmetto, biotin, and other natural ingredients to help promote hair growth and improve scalp health.
- DermaChange Platinum Hair Growth Shampoo – This shampoo contains saw palmetto and other natural ingredients to help promote hair growth and improve hair health.
- Hair Restoration Laboratories Professional Strength DHT-Blocking Hair Restore Shampoo – This shampoo is infused with saw palmetto and other natural ingredients to help block DHT and promote healthy hair growth.
- Biotin Shampoo for Hair Growth – This shampoo contains saw palmetto and biotin to help promote healthy hair growth and prevent hair loss.
Opinions on saw palmetto shampoo vary among online users, and some have had positive experiences with it, while others have not seen any significant benefits. Some users have reported that saw palmetto shampoos have helped them reduce hair loss and improved the overall health of their hair. They tend to also prefer the shampoos with all natural ingredients.
On the other hand, some Reddit users have reported that they did not see any significant changes in their hair health or hair loss after using saw palmetto shampoo. Some even expressed concerns about the lack of scientific evidence supporting the effectiveness of saw palmetto in promoting hair growth.
Overall, it’s important to remember that individual results may vary, and what works for one person may not work for another.
There are quite a few saw palmetto shampoos available on the market, but it’s probably best to consult a dermatologist or a hair care specialist to determine which product is best suited for your specific needs. It’s also important to read the label to ensure that the shampoo is free from any harmful chemicals and is compatible with your hair type.